Catholic Camps: Best Week Ever – Christendom College

Are you a current junior who is interested in a fun Catholic camp which gives you the chance to take liberal arts classes, go to Mass, do a bunch of fun activities, and see what college life is like at Christendom College?

Christendom offers a summer camp, The Best Week Ever, at their stunning campus in Front Royal, Virginia. Margaret Catalano, a MODG senior, went to The Best Week Ever this past summer, and answered several questions about it!

What stood out to you about the Best Week Ever before you went? What were you looking for that made you choose this camp?

“I’m not quite sure I was looking for anything, actually. College (especially back in my junior year) was something of a terrifying prospect. I believe it was the college webinar series MODG offered last year that initially brought the camp to my attention. I still remember watching the recording of the Christendom presentation one morning and hearing Mr. Sam Phillips talk about the foundation, integrated academics, environment, and mission of Christendom College. When he mentioned the Best Week Ever, I was sold–and very eager to see what the campus was like in person.”

How many weeks does Christendom College offer and how long is the camp?

“Christendom offers five sessions throughout the summer. Each is a week long, running from Sunday to Saturday.”

What does a typical day look like?

Regina Coeli Hall is where the admissions offices are located. A Parliamentary style debate takes place in this building during the summer camp. (Margaret Catalano)

“A typical day begins with breakfast in the Commons, then morning classes (e.g. Philosophy, Theology, History, Literature/Political Science) until 11:30 Mass. After lunch, there is another class or two before heading back to the chapel for Adoration, Benediction, and Confession. From there, you can either stay for choir practice or take some free time until the afternoon and evening activities commence. Once dinner and activities are concluded, everyone heads back to the dorms for the night.

“If you’re interested in a more thorough breakdown (plus an idea of what all the activities are) they have a detailed schedule on their website.”

What did you like most about the Best Week Ever?

“Very hard question! I think my personal favorites were the classes, the choir practices, and the dances. The classes were incredibly interesting, and the professors were fantastic and very engaging (to say the least!). Singing is a passion of mine, so it was amazing to work with everyone else to learn some new pieces and then sing as a choir during Mass on Friday. The dances were absolutely wonderful. They taught swing, contra-style, various barn dances, and even a bit of waltz. Everyone participated, and it was such a joy-filled time–and it certainly gave you a workout!

“They were also very accommodating in regard to food allergies and so forth, which was wonderful!”

What did you like least about the camp?

Photo taken on the hike at Skyline. Christendom is in the stunning Shenandoah Valley. (Margaret Catalano)

“Hmm, I’m not sure. I will say the the hike up the mountains at Skyline was intense in the summer heat, but the view at the top was well worth the struggle!”

Can you pick your own roommate?

“I don’t believe so, but in the application for the camp they ask for a short bio, which I’m pretty sure they use in coordinating roommates. One of my roommates was also a MODG student.”

How did the Best Week Ever give you a glimpse of college life?

“I think the camp is tailored to do just that: give a glimpse of college life. That said, with such little time and so many activities to get a taste of, the camp is pretty busy compared to typical college life. Nothing too hectic though, and I really appreciated that there were plenty of opportunities for quiet free time and reflection, even if just during the walks across campus from one building to another.”

What was the difference between this camp and a college visit?

“The main difference will be fewer classes and activities on a college visit (though far more people!). If you choose an overnight visit to campus, you’ll be able to stay with current students in the dorms. On a college visit, you will also have the chance to interact with current students and sit in on live classes, which naturally have a slightly different feel than the summer classes.”

How did the Best Week Ever help you grow spiritually?

Picture taken on the hike at Skyline (Margaret Catalano)

“Mass, Adoration, Benediction, rosary, and opportunities for Confession were all offered daily, and prayer was the beginning of every class. It was a great opportunity to get a sort of springboard start on making those good things into habits, so that when we returned, we would be inspired to pursue similar opportunities available to us. It can be hard to start habits like that on your own, so I really appreciated that about BWE.”

Was there a part of the camp that was especially beneficial to you?

“Hmm, I would say all of it has been beneficial, in the sense that it gave me a good taste of Christendom life. Being able to really experience what the environment, the activities, and the academics are like has been incredibly helpful in my current discernment of where to head after high school. On a more specific (and somewhat odd) note, the Political Science class they offered during camp was actually a great preparation for MODG’s Advanced Government and Economics course. I found myself referring back to the notes I’d taken during the week and getting excited about it all over again, which was awesome.”

Do you recommend it?

“Absolutely. Not only is it a great taste of life at Christendom, it’s an amazing experience in general. I saw a lot of friendships formed and was able to witness or be part of things I may otherwise not have!”

Do you have any advice for students going?

“First, I would really encourage anyone considering it to read through their website–specifically the page on the camp itself. They have a video preview of the week (and lots of pictures!), a detailed sample schedule, a list of activities, FAQ, and testimonies from students who have gone in the past. Second, the reading is worth it. There aren’t any quizzes or assignments while there, but you’ll get a lot more out of the classes if you read the material they give you beforehand. Other than that, just bring an open mind/heart, and throw yourself fully into the week. If you hold back, you’ll most likely regret it by the time Friday rolls around. So, immerse yourself in the experience!”

Have you been to The Best Week Ever? Are you going this summer? Please tell us about it in the comments!