MODG News

MODG News

MODG News

Contact Us

Student Jobs Outside School
Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

May 13, 2024

MODG Student and Siblings at World Youth Day 2023

May 13, 2024

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

May 11, 2024

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Olivia Henderson

As you may know, March 17th is the feast of St. Patrick. St. Patrick is a saint from Roman Britain. He was captured by Irish pirates when he was 14 and taken to Ireland as a slave. At this time, Ireland was a pagan country that worshiped pagan gods, while Patrick was Catholic. When he was 20, Patrick received a dream from God that he would be able to escape if he went to the coast of Ireland.

On the coast he found a ship that helped him reunite with his family in Britain. This was not the end of Patrick’s dealings with Ireland, though.

After a few years at home, Patrick saw a vision of an Irish man handing him a message from the Irish people asking him to return to them. This nudged him into becoming a priest. After being ordained a priest, and then a bishop a couple of years later, Patrick returned to Ireland to preach the gospel. When teaching about the gospel, one of Patrick’s famous explanations is to use a shamrock to explain the trinity as three persons in one God.

Around the world, there are many who celebrate the feast of St. Patrick in different ways. Some celebrations are large while others are just within the family. Some of our MODG students have shared how they celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

Hope Nytes, 10th grade: Every year, my grandma grows a clover plant that blooms ON Saint Patrick’s Day!

Bridget Lynch, 8th grade: Irish soda bread.

Gemma Criste, 10th grade: We always have green potatoes in honor of the feast day. We also have corn beef and cabbage. It is so good! St. Patrick’s Day is also on my brother’s birthday, so we celebrate that every year. We also go to Christendom College’s celebration! They have desserts and people Irish dance and sing Irish songs. It is always fun!

Jay Broussard, 10th grade: We wear green or get pinched.