MODG News

MODG News

MODG News

Contact Us

Student Jobs Outside School
Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

May 13, 2024

MODG Student and Siblings at World Youth Day 2023

May 13, 2024

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

May 11, 2024

A Semester Abroad in Italy

An Interview with Mary Sabados, a college student and MODG graduate
A Semester Abroad in Italy

Why did you decide to do a semester abroad and have you ever been abroad before?
Christendom’s semester abroad program is built into their curriculum, so it makes it really easy to go. I was mostly excited to live, not just be a tourist, in Europe in order to get a better and more unique experience. I have been abroad before with my family and on mission trips, but it has never been for such an extended period of time.

How long did it take for you to adjust and has it been hard to communicate or travel with the language barrier?
It was fairly easy to adjust. I think a big factor was that I came with a lot of my close friends, so there was familiarity even though I was in a foreign place. The transportation was one of the biggest adjustments, simply because I have not had to use public transportation much before. Otherwise, there are a lot of similarities to the U.S. The language barrier has not been too difficult, especially in the heart of Rome due to the concentration of tourists. Outside the city, it is a bit harder to communicate, but a few Italian words and gestures make it doable. Traveling to other countries can also be more difficult if they do not speak English or Italian.

What does your day-to-day life look like?
Each week day looks a little different. Monday-Thursday I will have classes at the institute of Maria de SS Bambino which is located right outside St. Peter’s Square. Throughout those days, I also have tours for class. During these we usually visit museums, churches and other historical sites in Rome. After class, we will sometimes go to St. Peter’s or around Rome, but we usually go back to our apartments and cook Italian dinner with wine. We have Fridays off to allow us to travel over the weekends. I have often taken the weekend to travel out of the country to places such as Poland and Budapest. Most of the weekend is spent traveling and then we return and have classes again on Monday. I also enjoy staying in Rome some weekends and just walking around.

What has been the biggest culture shock for you?
I wouldn’t really say that anything was really a culture shock. There is a difference in the way people act in daily life. People don’t smile in the streets as often to strangers, but they are much more openly affectionate with each other, which isn’t as common in the US.

What are some of the customs you’ve learned there?
They have a lot of daily customs. Most of them are around the way they eat. They will not have cappuccinos in the afternoon, only espresso, because the milk is not good for digestion. Similarly, their dinners consist of multiple steps of drinks to prepare the stomach for food and then to help with digestion afterwards. A lot of their customs are very purposeful and aid the natural way we’re made to function. Another custom is la pausa, which is like their siesta. A lot of Italians take a break from around 2-4 in the afternoon, and a lot of the stores are closed. In general, they do not like to rush or be in a hurry. For example, they never take their coffees to go. They will sit or stand at the bar, enjoy their coffee and then be on their way. I admire this custom especially because it helps them enjoy life more and really take things in instead of always rushing and flying through their days, as is often the case in America.

How is the food different? And what are some of your favorite foods you’ve tasted there?
The food itself is not very different, but they have a copious amount of carbs and coffee in their diets. They have less fast food. For breakfast, it is usually just a croissant and a coffee. I am a big fan of the chocolate croissants with a coffee. For dinner, most restaurants have a first course option which is usually a pasta or carb and a second course option which is mostly meat or fish. Of course, there is always a house wine which is a great choice with dinner. Although not all of the pizza is exceptional, there are particular places which are a favorite!

How is the architecture different?
Some buildings look very similar, while others do not. There are a lot more classical or fancier buildings and apartments. If the building is simple, there are often plants, flowers or lemon trees hanging out from the balconies which add a colorful aspect. In other countries the architecture has a bit more variety and style.

How is the faith different and what holy sites have you visited?
It is amazing to see a church almost on every corner of any street in Rome. There are also religious symbols and art in many different places such as a painting of Mary on a street wall or a statue of Mary in the corner of a coffee bar. Although Catholicism seems to be rooted in the culture, it is not necessarily practiced in the churches. This was something I found surprising. There are many saints and relics in Rome. I have been blessed to see great saints like St. Catherine of Sienna in Rome and St. Francis and St. Clare in Assisi. In addition, the holy stairs and true cross relics are in Rome! Assisi was one of my favorite places and the most spiritually reviving. It has many saints and holy places, as well as an incredible display of God’s beauty through nature.

What is your favorite and least favorite part about being abroad?
My favorite part is being able to live in Europe and travel with my friends! It is nice to be less of a tourist and to get to know and become comfortable with the area and locals. I also really enjoy having so much to do, from seeing stunning churches to drinking a bellini by the Tiber! It is incredible walking out of class to see the dome of St. Peter’s towering ahead in the sky. My least favorite part is being run down. Between all the traveling, walking, and tours it is easy to get tired out quickly. Further, the streets of Rome are extremely dirty, and the trash system is not good, so it dampers the beautiful look of the monuments.

What is some advice you would offer to students who will be taking a semester abroad in the future?
I would say, do the semester abroad! Come prepared to be on your own and learn to navigate a busy city by yourself. Come with an open mind and be willing to go with the flow. In addition, really soak up the Italian culture! Save up enough in order to really experience the food, drinks and activities! Simply put, take advantage of the time you have here. It is unlike any experience you will have. As a student, you are on your own, but not yet subject to post-grad jobs and responsibilities, so it is a very freeing feeling. I also highly recommend traveling to other countries or parts of Italy whenever you can, it is such a neat experience!

View Comments (1)