MODG News

MODG News

MODG News

Contact Us

Student Jobs Outside School
Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

May 13, 2024

MODG Student and Siblings at World Youth Day 2023

May 13, 2024

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

May 11, 2024

Congress Makes History

Speaker of the House Ousted and Rep. Mike Johnson Elected
Rep. Mike Johnson sworn in as Speaker of the House
house.gov

Over the course of several weeks, history was made in the United States congress due to the original Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, being vacated from his speaker position.

Matt Gaetz (R-FL)  introduced the idea of vacating McCarthy, his reasoning being that McCarthy did not fulfill the duties he promised he would do whilst running for speaker. The ouster happened October 3, and this led to weeks-worth of each party picking a nominee before the final vote to see who would be speaker.

Several members ran on both sides during each ballot. In an unusual fashion, there were four ballots, which is uncommonly long in the House of Representatives.

On October 10th, the Democratic party voted for Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) to run against the to-be-determined Republican nominee. However, it would take a total of three days for the republican nominee to be elected.

The Republican conference voted for Steve Scalise (R-LA) originally on October 11th, but Scalise dropped out of the running the next day. They held another ballot the next day that led to Jim Jordan (R-OH) being elected as the Republican nominee. The House then progressed to two House floor votes on October 17-18, but the vote didn’t produce a speaker.

On October 20th, the Republican conference held a vote to revoke Jim Jordan’s nomination, which proved successful.

Now for the fourth time, the Republican party held another ballot on whom to nominate. They elected Tom Emmer (R-MN) before Emmer’s withdrawing his candidacy, and then elected their final nominee, Mike Johnson (R-LA).

On October 25, during the fourth overall house vote, Mike Johnson was elected Speaker of the House.