A MODG Elective: Health

Have you heard about MODG’s Health class?

Health is a four week course which is offered to upcoming 10th-12th graders in the summer, fall, and spring.

Susannah Cope, Kaity Gallagher, Anna Schwenk, and Joseph Sacco answered several about the class, why you should take it, and how it would prepare you to talk to other people about the topics it covers.

What grade were you in when you took Health? Do you recommend taking it in that grade?
Joseph Sacco: I took Health over the summer after Junior year, which placed it in my 12th Grade transcript. It does require a certain maturity, so, yes, I think 12th Grade is the best time to take it.
Anna Schwenk: I took Health during the summer after Sophomore year. I personally think that was a good time to take it because it was easier to focus on harder subjects for school during the year after I had finished the course. I would not recommend taking it before you feel ready, as the reading is semi-complicated and mature and the answers to the worksheets are somewhat subjective.
Susannah Cope: I took it over the summer after my sophomore year, and I recommend taking it then or the summer after your junior year. You will be talking about concepts which are geared for older teens, and you do not want to take it earlier than you can handle it.
Kaity Gallagher: I took Heath the summer before senior year. I would recommend taking it as a rising senior or a rising junior. The content of the health class is for older students, but the material itself can be challenging. Students read directly from Papal Encyclicals, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and two articles (provided by the syllabus). All of the material is highly interesting and worth reading! However, answers to worksheets and questions, material for discussion, and information for the end of the course paper are derived from these readings, so understanding is important. I do not doubt underclassmen could take this course, but they may find it more beneficial after being challenged by MODG’s reading for a year or two before taking Health. Therefore, I’d recommend upperclassmen take this course.

Who did you have for your teacher(s) and grader? What did you like about his or her teaching method?
Kaity Gallagher: Kristin Crook was both my teacher and grader! She is an excellent teacher and grader! She kept the class on track and shared amazing insights into what we were studying. She also was able to elaborate more on the texts we were reading and answer our questions.
Susannah Cope: Margaret Hayden and James Berquist were my teachers. Mrs. Hayden’s teaching style was very engaging, and they were an excellent team. Andrew Kuenstle was my grader, and his notes were very helpful!

What was your experience doing it in the summer?
Anna Schwenk: Although the classes are longer than traditional MODG classes if you choose to take it in the summer (120 minutes), there are only 4 classes in total, as opposed to a one semester course during the year. This does create a bit of a problem if you have to miss a class for whatever reason, but you can listen to the recording. Class participation, along with 4 worksheets and a final paper, are what make up your grade. Overall, I had a very good experience taking Health in the summer because it allowed me to truly focus on the course as I had no other classes.

Why do you recommend taking it as a class instead of doing it on your own?
Joseph Sacco: The content covered in Health is anything but light. It’s important to have a guide for that reason—but it’s also important as the content becomes increasingly prevalent in public discourse. The truth only continues to be obscured by those who seem to have knowledge and authority. It’s beneficial, then, to have a teacher who will teach what the Church teaches, whole and unchanged—MODG provides this opportunity.

How does Health prepare you to talk to other people about the topics it covers?
Anna Schwenk: Health prepares you to discuss/debate with other people about the topics covered by it -especially if you take the class – because almost the entire class is a discussion of the topics and learning how to form arguments for the opposing side. In addition to this, the reading and homework further helps with forming arguments using trusted sources.

Does Health prepare you for other MODG classes?
Susannah Cope: Health prepares you well for Catholic Doctrine. It was really beneficial to have the discussions in Health and dive into the topics before Catholic Doctrine.

What tips would you give to students taking Health this summer?
Kaity Gallagher: I would suggest that students read the whole syllabus before beginning the course and review what assignments they need to turn in. I would also recommend students take notes while reading and in class in preparation for the final essay. Do not begin gathering notes the final week for the essay, but begin the first week to write legible notes, marking textual references, that you can use to write your final essay. You will also get more out of the class from this, because you will be actively engaging with the material in class and during reading. Take the extra time to do it!
Susannah Cope: If you have summer commitments, have a plan to stay on track. You can get more work done than you think! If you have questions, make sure you ask your teacher(s) and grader, too.

Have you taken Health? Comment below! We’d love to hear your experience.

Would you like to learn about all of MODG’s electives? Read an interview about Art History, an interview about Test Prep, and look at the Course Catalog.