Covington Recap

Edited+with+Canva.+

Gwynith Hayden

Edited with Canva.

Faith Costello, Reporter

Around 50 people, newspapers, or dioceses received letters from Nick Sandmann’s lawyers in the weeks after the Covington High School incident. The list includes the Washington Post, the New York Times,  and three Catholic dioceses. Illan Omar and Nancy Pelosi are also on the list.

The groups and individuals who received letters could possibly be involved in lawsuits for defamation of character.

On January 18th, Students from Covington Catholic High School who participated in the March for Life in Washington, D.C., were waiting for their bus on the steps of the National Monument. Several of them wore MAGA hats. They encountered an elderly Native American man named Nathan Phillips, who was participating in the Indigenous Peoples March that occurred the same day.

This might not seem like a very controversial incident, but a video surfaced of Nick smiling as Mr. Phillips was beating the drum. The large crowd of students stood around the two, singing and shouting. Many thought that the boys were taunting Mr. Phillips.

Celebrities tweeted out their indignation, calling for the boys public disgrace and expulsion from school. Some people threatened violence on the boys and called them Nazis and racists.

One of the boys’ critics was Bishop Robert Foys of Covington; however, in the next few days, the full video surfaced, and many people began to have a different view of the situation.

The full video showed that the boys first received insults from another group, Black Hebrew Israelites protesters, who were swearing at the boys.  Upon viewing the full video, many people pointed out that it seems Mr. Phillips himself walked to the boys and proceeded to beat the drum in Nick Sandman’s face.

In his official statement, Sandmann said that he tried  to calm the situation, even when a protestor told them to “‘go back to Europe.’”

As the narrative began to evolve, many people questioned their first opinions.

Bishop Foys apologized in a letter on January 25th, writing, “We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it.”

The full results of the letters sent by Sandmann’s lawyers have not yet revealed themselves.