Initiation as Full Members of the Catholic Church: Confirmation

A MODG Confirmation sponsor reflects on his role as sponsor for another MODG student

Tessa Monin, VOX Reporter

The sacraments of Baptism, the Eucharist, and Confirmation together constitute the “sacraments of Christian initiation.” Together, the three sacraments bring youths born in the church and adults converted to the Faith into the fullness of the Catholic Church.

As students finish their school year, they are also polishing off another year of religious education. This reporter is proud to announce that her younger brother, Bill, was anointed with the sacrament of Confirmation on April 14, 2018. Bill Monin, an MODG freshmen in highschool, finished his religious education and was granted, by the Diocese of Richmond, to receive the sacrament of Confirmation.

Bill Monin was 15 when he received the sacrament of Confirmation. His sponsor, Isaac Mason, another MODG student, was 17 when he escorted Bill up to the bishop for his sacrament. There has been some controversy on the age which one should be granted confirmation.  The USCCB (Episcopal Conference) decided that the age is “between the age of discretion and about sixteen years of age”. Therefore, the age of confirmation is the age of reason, except in a life emergency.

The sacrament of confirmation is to be conferred on the faithful at about the age of discretion, unless the episcopal conference has decided on a different age; or there is a danger of death; or, in the judgment of the minister, a grave reason suggests otherwise. (CIC 891)

— Code of Canon Law

Next is an interview that our reporter was able to conduct with the sponsor, Isaac Mason.

#1. What was your initial reaction when you heard Bill wanted you to be his sponsor?

My initial reaction was surprise. I honestly wasn’t expecting him to ask me to be his sponsor, but it was immediately followed with a crazy excited, ecstatic feeling

#2. Where you nervous about the responsibility you were being asked to do? You are being asked to help and support your cousin in his Catholic faith when you sponsor him.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt a little nervous. Mostly because I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do, and even after I figured out my responsibilities, I’m still unsure if I’ll perform them properly.

#3. How do you plan to fulfill the duty that Bill asked you to undertake?

Mostly through prayer, there isn’t a much better way to support him. He lives in a fully Catholic household with parents who encourage and educate him in faith so, there’s not much more that I should do.

#4. How did you feel about the ceremony?

It seemed very straightforward and simple. I was glad to be there and see Bill being brought fully into the Church.

#5. Do you have any advice for young Confirmadee and their sponsors?

I can’t really say much besides don’t worry. In life, if you relax and remind yourself that God is in control, everything will be fine.

#6. Bill’s confirmation brought him into the fullness of the Church. How were you feeling when Bishop Knestout laid his hands on William and he became a full member of the Catholic Church?

Honestly, I was just happy I got his name right, but in all seriousness, I felt like it was a big moment in his life, and was glad he chose me to support him in this.

This article is sponsored by Ann Monin, a wonderful mother who has been next to me through everything.

Happy Mother’s Day!