MODG Athlete Looks Back On High School Track Career

At first, Daniel Snyder didn’t plan on doing track and field.

Although Daniel, a MODG senior from Pennsylvania, has played soccer since first grade, he didn’t run track until the year before he started high school.  Daniel competed in cross-country during the fall of his eighth grade year, and his cross-country coach recommended that Daniel give track and field a try.

Pick the events that you like, and do them, because it’s an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

— Daniel Snyder

Daniel took his coach’s advice, and promptly fell in love with track and field.  He has competed in this sport for four years at Susquehannock High School .  In addition to track and field, he also played soccer at the High School.

During his senior season, Daniel is competing in four events: the 4 x 800 meter relay, open 400 meter race, the high jump, and the 4 x 400 meter relay.

Daniel said his favorite event is the 4 x 400 meter relay: “It’s the very end of the meet, and a lot of times it comes down to that race, and it’s very intense… You have to work with your team, and you all run together.”

The biggest meet that Daniel has participated in was the Herb Schmidt Relays.  This meet celebrated its 55th year anniversary in 2014.  “It’s very competitive, there are a lot of events that aren’t in regular meets: special medleys with a mix of distance and sprinting.”

track 3

Daniel’s biggest improvement this year has been his time in the 400 meter race.  He has improved his time in the 400 by over four seconds.  Daniel said that particularly wants to improve on his 400 time, as well as his high jump.

Daniel said that he’s enjoyed his time playing sports at Susquehannock.  He has no regrets so far over his senior year: “…we went to state in soccer, which was one of my goals, and that was a great experience.”

Daniel had this advice for MODGers who are interested in trying track and field or already training for track and field: “Pick the events that you like, and do them, because it’s an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life.  The biggest thing to remember is just to have fun with it. “