MODG News

MODG News

MODG News

Contact Us

Student Jobs Outside School
Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 12: Kentucky

May 13, 2024

MODG Student and Siblings at World Youth Day 2023

May 13, 2024

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

Picture of the Day: May 10: Kentucky

May 11, 2024

How to Make a Chord Rosary

How to Make a Chord Rosary
Olivia Henderson

If you’re crafty and want to learn how to make something new, this is the place for you!

You might have seen rosaries made of cord knots. They might look difficult to make, but they are not! Once you learn how to make them, you can have fun making all the chord rosaries you could ever want! These are especially great for gifts or donating to your church.

To start out, you’ll need a length of chord about 20 feet long. Then, you are going to put the two ends together and find the middle of the chord. Once you’ve found the middle, it’s time to make the first knot.

This first knot will be the first Hail Mary. You’re going to twist the chord three times around your finger then carefully pull the loops off your finger, making sure they don’t come out!

Olivia Henderson

Then you take the end of the chord and thread it through the back of the loops and pull tight.

Olivia Henderson

Now you’ve got your first Hail Mary!

Now you’ll make nine more of those, making sure you pull the knots tight so they’re close together.

Olivia Henderson

For the Our Father bead, you’re going to do the same thing as the Hail Mary, but with five loops. When you pull this one tight, you want to have it a little farther apart from the Hail Mary beads to distinguish that it’s not another Hail Mary.

Now there’s two more decades to do on this side.

Once you have three decades, you’re going to go back to that first decade you made and put an Our Father on the end. Then you’ve got two more decades to make five!

Now for the tricky part. To join the two in the middle, you’re going to hold both strings to where the beads are even.

Olivia Henderson

Then you’re going to take both sides and make two loops on your finger.

Olivia Schlater

Now you pull both strings through the loops and pull it tight.

Olivia Henderson

Now you’re going to make one Our Father, three Hail Mary’s, and another Our Father.

Now for the final part, adding the Crucifix. First, you’re going to start just like an Our Father with five loops.

Then, you’re going to pull the string through the loops, but don’t pull tight! Before you pull tight, you’re going to slip the cross onto the chord.

Olivia Henderson

Now you bring the chord back through the same way you pulled it instead of around the back. Now you pull and tighten the knot until you’ve gotten it good and tight.

Olivia Henderson

And that’s it!

Olivia Henderson

The final step is to clip the end of the strings and singe it so that the chord doesn’t unravel. Now you can make all the chord rosaries that you want! Happy crafting!

Olivia Henderson