Choosing A College Major

Cordelia Henderson

Shelby- math building

Deciding on a college major may seem like a big step. There are so many things to choose from that it might get overwhelming. Some of the college students from the University of Alabama in Huntsville answered some questions about why they chose the major they’re studying and gave some advice for high school students looking to study that major.

Music – Cordelia Henderson
Why: MODG graduate Cordelia Henderson shares that she chose to major in music because she “grew up around music” in her family. She was originally majoring in graphic design, but was not passionate enough about the art classes to continue that. She switched to music with a concentration in piano pedagogy (teaching piano).
Advice: For high school students looking to study music, she advises that they “have a basic knowledge of music theory, and also really want it [the major].”

Music building (Courtesy of Cordelia Henderson)

Computer Science – Frank
Why: Frank’s father recommended computer science and since he was undecided on a major, it worked out that he settled with it.
Advice: He recommends taking classes that have programming and coding to get you used to what you’ll have to do in the computer science focused classes.

Engineering: Mechanical – Brice
Why: Brice wanted to be an astronaut, but settled for building rockets instead. He switched from aerospace engineering because he didn’t like the program.
Advice: Mechanical engineering is tough, so you really have to want it and try in classes. Some things that might be helpful are learning how to use matlab, a programming language, and arduino, a software/hardware.

Engineering: Computer – Edwin
Why: Both of Edwin’s parents were in electrical engineering and he got the building part, but preferred to build computers. Originally he was in mechanical engineering, but he ended up switching to computer engineering.
Advice: He advises not having your entire life taken up by school and to get a hobby. School and free time have to be managed so they’re equal.

Math – Andrew
Why: Andrew always loved math and chose to study something he loved in college. He didn’t switch majors, but double majored in something that was applicable to his major.
Advice: He advises getting out to see how math is used outside of the classroom along with exploring the different parts of math.

Engineering building (Cordelia Henderson)

Physics: Madison
Why: Her family was into engineering and medical, so she was told to go study physics. She started with no specific concentration, but chose optics as it was in high demand. Another reason she chose optics is because “it has more real world applications.”
Advice: “Physics can be difficult and there is a bigger cognitive strain.” She says it’s also helpful to have field experience along with contacting your professors about getting plugged in with research.

Physics: Bekah
Why: Bekah always loved math and physics is an applicable math. She never changed her major, but changed her concentration.
Advice: “Get to know upperclassmen,” she advises, “to get advice about your major, which professors are good, tests, and grading.”

Spanish: Rory
Why: Rory started out at the University of North Alabama to study education, but switched to the University of Alabama in Huntsville to study Spanish because she wanted to learn a second language. She also switched to study a language because it was something she enjoyed.
Advice: She says “Find someone you’re comfortable speaking to in that language… don’t let professors intimidate you into fear.”

Pre-med/Biology: David
Why: David started out in ROTC and in the military, “medical comes with it.” He was undecided for a bit, but turned to something that would be useful in the military. Biology is a prerequisite to medical school, so he is majoring in biology with an intent to go into medical school.
Advice: “Do research,” he advises, “about schools, requirements, and costs. Don’t be afraid to drop classes if you need to.”

Engineering/Technology: JJ
Why: JJ switched to engineering and technology from civil engineering because it has more freedom along with more time with the professors.
Advice: He advises doing well and staying caught up with classes, otherwise it’s very easy to get behind.

Although the choice of a college major may seem daunting, simply talking to college students about their majors and experiences can help learn about what to expect. Talk to some students, scope out the college majors near you, and learn!