Student Interview: Franciscan University of Steubenville

Three current FUS students share their experiences!

Dorothy Cocci

What year and major are you?
I’m a sophomore and my major is Biology.

Was Franciscan your first choice?
I wanted to go to Ave Maria because it was warm and sunny and there were beaches there, so this was not my first choice. It was my second choice though.

Why did you choose Franciscan over the other colleges that you looked at?
I prayed about both colleges because they were both really good, and I felt more at peace with this one and I guess more familiar with it because I had been to conferences and retreats here and it just felt more at home than the other college did.

Main entrance onto campus (Bernadette Cocci)

What is your experience living in the dorms?
It’s a lot of fun! I would not move off campus because I like the community in the dorms and having a roommate as well. The community bathrooms…people don’t like them but I do because you can meet people wherever you go.

What sets this school apart from others?
They have households and Mass every day, like five times a day. They have priests and sisters that you see frequently walking around campus. And just the overall atmosphere is a lot better than state schools because you live in a bubble, which might sound like a bad thing but I really enjoyed it because you just get blocked off from the world off campus.

What do you plan on doing after you graduate?
I’m not sure yet, maybe something in the lab. Definitely something in the medical field though.

Finally, what advice would you give to people who are thinking of attending FUS?
I would say definitely stay overnight with a friend or person to get the feel of the college, sit in on some classes, check out households, and just get to know as much about the campus as you can.

__________

Wyatt Emmerton

What year and major are you?
I’m a sophomore and I’m studying biology for physical therapy.

Well originally I wanted to go to a state school but there was a step in faith program and my mother really wanted me to check out a Catholic college, so I decided to come check it out. I thought it would be a good chance to just experience school and see if I liked it anyway.

I used to live on lower campus and the community there wasn’t as great as it is up on campus; I just moved up here actually. And dorm life is great here. Everybody is looking after each other, you get to make some really great friends, the community is just wonderful.

How has Franciscan helped you grow in your faith?
Well before I came to Franciscan I didn’t really live the Catholic faith very well. I went to Mass on Sunday but I didn’t really understand it, and when I came here everything changed. Everybody is so kind and they explain things to me and really help me to understand – it’s amazing. I got to go to Mass everyday and confessions are readily available, just the whole atmosphere. Households help you grow so much and it’s just amazing here.

Well the faith, definitely. As a science major or somebody majoring in biology obviously, being able to have the faith intertwined with the education here is really great because it helps you understand it from a perspective that you would never get at any other college and that’s such a wonderful thing.

Well after I graduate from Franciscan I have to do two more years of school to get my doctorate for physical therapy and hopefully I can get a job helping people and maybe from there start my own business.

Definitely come check it out. There’s no place like it and it will change your life for the better.

__________

The cafeteria in the lower level of the Antonian dining hall. (Bernadette Cocci)

Jack Margiotta

What year and major are you?
I am a sophomore history major.

Was Franciscan your first choice?
Yes, Franciscan was the first school I seriously considered.

I believed that Franciscan was going to be a more suitable environment for me where my faith and opinions would not ostracize me from other students.

The dorms are generally very nice quality, but it’s the people that make it for me. Having fun with my hallmates is the best part of dorm life.

Franciscan has given me so many more opportunities for prayer and reflection than I had before, and I have been able to grow in faith with friends as well.

At Franciscan, you are generally pressured to do good things, like go to Mass, pray a rosary or chaplet. Students tend to gravitate towards people with strong moral values, as opposed to whoever is popular or good looking.

I plan on earning my masters and doctorate in history and becoming a professor.

I would say if you were attending Franciscan then you should always be willing to have your beliefs and opinions challenged. Even at a Catholic college you will find a variety of ideas, some of which are strange. Be open to discussion and debate, and keep in mind that you all agree on the same goal: salvation.