News Brief: DOJ Drops Support of Women Athletes’ Lawsuit

Justice Department Drops Support for Women Athletes’ Lawsuit

The+American+flag%2C+a+symbol+which+some+Americans+have+deemed+too+controversial.+

Gwynith Hayden

The American flag, a symbol which some Americans have deemed too controversial.

Mary Sabados, Reporter

The Justice Department decided to pull back support for a lawsuit pursuing the ban of transgenders athletes from girls’ high school sports. 

This lawsuit was filed in Connecticut. It is against transgenders being allowed to compete in girl’s high school sports. 

Alanna Smith, the high school track athlete who filed the lawsuit, told Fox News “We train for so many days a week, so many hours to be able to be the best in our state and the best in our region and these biological males are just taking it away from us and we really deserve it”. 

Just last year, during the Trump administration, the Department of Justice had backed Smith’s case. 

Alanna placed below a transgender runner in a meet. On behalf of herself and other female athletes she said that they “have worked really hard to get our stories out there to get people to realize that fairness needs to be restored in our sport and in all other women’s sports”. 

An executive order was signed by President Biden on his first day in office that prohibits discrimination based on gender identity in school sports. Many education and athletic departments in Connecticut claim that students and athletes should be treated according to their gender identity, not according to their biological gender at birth. Connecticut Attorney General William Tong said, “Transgender girls are girls and every woman and girl deserves protection against discrimination. Period”.