Gwynith Hayden

MODG Motivated: Marathon Runner Series!

As spring slowly emerges from winter, we are all eager to get outside and exercise. This season is also popular for races, such as half or full marathons. The word marathon sounds daunting, but with good training, anything is within your reach. If you are interested in running a half/full marathon, MODG Motivated is doing a series of interviews with three marathon runners that will have good insight for you!

Our first marathon runner (or half-marathon runner, in her case) is the beautiful Annie McCarthy, MODG graduate and teacher!

Kimberly McCarthy
Annie McCarthy smiles for the camera after completing the 1/2 marathon.

1.  Have you ever run a half marathon before and if so, what are you doing differently with training this time? I ran the Holy Half at Notre Dame last April. It was 17 degrees when the race started! I’m using the same training program to prepare for my upcoming half marathon. I was living in the Midwest while training for the last half, so I spent more time running on a treadmill. Now that I’m in California, I train outside, which I definitely prefer!

2.What is your training schedule? I train using a run/walk program, which builds up the amount that I run over several months. I try to get out to run/walk for a couple hours three times a week.

3.  How does training affect your everyday life?I’m hungry all the time when I’m training! Also, investing so much time in running forces me to be more organized and efficient in my daily life.

4.  Does the training include what you eat? While training, I have to pay more attention to what I eat and how much water I drink.

5. Do you use any apps and/or a Fitbit to help you? I use the app 21K. It tells me when to walk and when to run, which is nice because I don’t have to look at my phone. I also listen to audio books on Audible and LibriVox while running.

6. Any advice for anyone who is interested in running a half marathon? Don’t be intimidated! The program I used built up the amount that I could run over time. When I started, I could barely run a mile. Also, be realistic about the amount of time you can commit to training so that it doesn’t become stressful to maintain your training schedule. Remember why you’re doing this, and that it’s supposed to be fun!

Hey MODGers! Tune in later for Part 2 of our Marathon Series.

MODG News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All MODG News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.