Katherine Sharafinski

#HUSTLE: A Lifestyle?

Is constant exhaustion the new fad? I recently read an article in the New York Times on the “hustle culture” about today’s millennials.

The writer noticed that people prize a busy lifestyle above normal activities.  

I’ve noticed this even within my own circle. My friends and family are proud of their long hours and excessive commitment to work.  I’m not even in college yet, but I encounter people boasting on social media about these habits daily. It’s not just millennials with 9-to-5 jobs, but the teens of my generation as well.

What gives people this focus of work over everything else?  Our own psychology can work against us when it comes to this mindset.

Factors like ambition, greed, machismo, pride, and enjoyment all play in.

If you think about it, a week only has 168 hours.  Marissa Mayer, a former chief executive with Yahoo, claims to work up to 130 hours in a week!  Many workers in the present culture willingly give of their free time in pursuit of an ideal and are proud of it.  

Have you ever donated off hours or filled in for a fellow employee, and in doing so sacrificed something important to you?  Overwork can harm the health of the individuals working both physically and psychologically.

This focus on work and climbing to the top tier of success can distract from what is more important: God.  Having a good work ethic and setting goals is important, but you need to learn to balance this with equally essential things.  Praying in the presence of God, being with your family, and making time for yourself should not be pushed to the side in pursuit of a better paycheck or grades.  

Sometimes I find myself taking on too many things trying to balance school, extracurriculars, service, and everything life throws at me.  Taking a deep breath, stepping back, and assessing the situation can work wonders. I challenge you this week to consciously think about what you’re doing in your life and to make time for the little things!

MODG News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All MODG News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.