Graphic by Canva.

Suggested Workout Schedule

Without the right workout schedule or format, it can be difficult to make time for the gym, or even see results from the time that you do make to workout. It is very easy to walk into a gym and spend a half hour doing a lot of nothing because you have no idea where to begin. Having a plan for the gym helps solve this problem, even if that plan is to run a mile on the treadmill, do some yoga and go home. One workout format that I personally find very useful is the one my Crossfit gym uses.

This is what it looks like, and I typically use it three times a week:

1. Warm up

2. Mobility

3. Strength

4. Workout

5. Cool down

Some of these words might be new to you, but they are not hard to understand once explained. Mobility is similar to stretching, however, it is more direct to the muscles. A foam roller, lacrosse ball and softball are all my gym uses to do mobility. All you do is use the lacrosse ball or softball to gently loosen your muscles by rolling it back and forth.

Next, the Strength is a particular movement (i.e. deadlift, clean, bench press) that you spend about 15 minutes on, working on form and technique, trying to complete the movement at heavier weights than in the past. It is important to focus on good form while doing your movement, otherwise you could seriously injure yourself.

For your Warm up, I recommend cardio, light stretching, and an easier version of whatever your workout of the day is (for example, if you are doing front squats and pull-ups in the workout, do some air squats and ring pull-ups to prepare). For your Cool down, some cardio and stretching is best to help your muscles recover.