The Writer’s Quill Submissions: Part III

Here are a few more amazing stories written by MODG students just like you! If you’d like to see your story on VOX, check out the Writer’s Quill, lookout for our biweekly story prompts, and give it a shot! We love reading your creative stories!

Prompt: The flame licked the corner of the paper. I never wanted to see it again. The words upon it in their elegant scrawl had once meant the world to me, but now, all I wanted was for it to be gone.

A Girl Full of Surprises by Reagan Sullivan

It was a warm day, warm at least for the town of London. A young immigrant stood against a lamppost, gazing at the bustle of the market. I watched him, brushing some curling brown hair away from my face. He had money, that much was certain. His clothes were pristine and perfectly clean, and I thought his watch might just be gold.

“Elena,” my companion whispered, giving me a little push, “remember what you were told. We’ve got a lot riding on you.”

Murmuring an answer, I felt the weight of my mission weighing on me. I had made a contract with one of the greatest crime lords in all of London. The paper was in my pocket. He’d offered me money and clothing, not to mention food. All I had to do was basically sell myself to him. All my life, I’d been a street gamin. He was offering me a way off the streets, so I took it.

I was more and more aware of the dirt on my face and dress as I walked towards the man. The one beautiful thing that I actually owned was hidden under my shirt, a blue gem, set in silver and tied to a rawhide strap. It was magical, I’d soon discovered. I had found it in the gutter one day and as no one appeared to claim it, I adopted it as my own.

“You’re new to England?” I asked with my most charming smile. A little rouge had done wonders for that.

“Yes,” he replied, his accent pronounced, “I have just arrived from France.”

“Ah, how wonderful! You must go and see the sights. Perhaps you need a guide?”

“Would you?” He asked, his face showing relief, “I’d be happy to pay you.”

“Certainly!” I laughed a little, hoping he was naïve enough not to see that I was not the kind of person the upper class would associate with, let alone speak to. “Where would you like to go?”

That beautiful watch flashed open in the palm of his hand. I tried not to stare at it, but he noticed.

“A present from my father,” he smiled, “It is noon, so shall we find a place to eat?”

“I know just the place,” I said, though I knew no such thing. Just find some classy café and let him eat there was my plan. “Follow me.”

Taking his arm confidently, I guided him through the winding streets. My map of the city never included any wide-open streets, so my rich employer was most likely very concerned over where I was taking him, especially when I asked him to give me a leg up over a fence in the alley. However, he followed me like a loyal dog until we finally reached a place that was suitable for what I considered to be his taste. His brown eyes smiled down at me as I loudly asked for two plates of food.

“I don’t believe you ever told me your name,” he said between mouthfuls of a pastry.

“Elena,” I said, wiping a crumb from my dress. “But call me Ele.”

“I am Hugo,” he said, bowing his head slightly. I looked at his face closely for the first time and realized that he was dashingly handsome.

Where do you come from?” I slowly asked.

“A country estate on the Vendee.” The question was brushed off as he leaned closer to ask me one of his own. “Where do you live, Ele?”

The dark end of an alley was clearly not an appropriate answer.

“An old boarding house,” I lied with a sweet smile. “Finish up your lunch, good sir and I shall take you to the streets of magic.”

“I’ve heard much of the English magicks,” he said, taking my arm as we strode through the door. “What sort are they? Where I come from it is the elemental magic, from stones mostly.”

“These are of the earthier variety,” I said, skipping a little ahead of him. “Mostly things to clear your skin and what not. The crime lords run most of the magic fairs. They’ll charge you the shirt off your back to make a profit. They love dealing in French magic. They’ll do anything for a blue stone.”

“Have you ever seen one of the blue stones?”

“Aye, once I did. You can use it just one time and you can use it to manipulate the water and wind. The red stones are more rare and far more dangerous. Their power is nearly unlimited.”

“I heard,” Hugo said, slowing his gait, “That there are two red stones left in the world, and maybe five blue ones.”

“You heard rightly, at least so far as I know. One of the crime lords owns one. He keeps it in his ring. No one knows where the other is.”

“You know, the stones are not evil,” Hugo said slowly, “It merely depends on their use.”

“Everything is that way, isn’t it?” I began to like this young man very much. I didn’t really want to fulfill my mission to bring poor Hugo to the man who hired me. My necklace seemed heavy.

“Yes, God gave man a great gift when He left the stones in the Earth. But like all power, it must be used properly.”

“Here’s the fair street now,” I said suddenly, turning.

The fair street was a sight to see, all decked in crimson and gold. The merchants were selling their wares upon the walks. One demonstrated a powder that when added to water would turn into fully baked bread. Another showed how to make small things one misplaced reappear again. All this magic was very innocent, relying on no dark forces in the slightest. It was the magic of life, of beauty and simplicity.

Hugo was fascinated by it all; he found a woman selling vials of liquid that turned into silk cloth when poured out. It was mostly for the use of mending holes in expensive shirts. As I bent over to examine some flower seeds that grew within an hour, I suddenly noticed the vendor’s eyes fixed on my neck. As I glanced down, I saw that my necklace had fallen out. Hugo saw it too, and there was a strange look in his eyes.

I quickly hid it again in my blouse. The vendor looked into my eyes and pointed at his watch.

“He’s getting impatient,” he hissed at me.

And now the time was quickly approaching for me to hand over Hugo to a fate I didn’t want to know. THe money received from it would be enough to keep me alive for a long time. But still, he was an innocent creature…

Twilight had already fallen and I was standing with Hugo over the trickling river. The pavement shone in the gentle rain. He was very quiet, then suddenly spoke to me.

“You’re a beautiful girl, Ele. A girl full of surprises. You have eyes like stars.”

I blushed guiltily and looked down. “Hugo . . . get out of here.”

“Now why would I want to do that? I enjoyed myself more than I ever have before today. You made it that way. You look like a half-wild gypsy. There’s wild blood in you somewhere and I think you’re wonderful that way.”

“Hugo,” I started crying. Sniffing, I wiped my eyes quickly so that no dirty smears would show, “I’m not who you think I am. I was hired to deliver you to one of the crime lords. He wants you for some reason. I’m so sorry. Just get out now, run away!”

“Oh Ele,” he was laughing, “I knew it all the time. This particular crime lord is someone who I’ve known for a long time. When I first saw you, I knew he was attempting to trap me.”

“B-but why?” I stammered.

“Remember those two red stones? My father owned them both. He was going to use it to restore peace to France, but after the rebellion there this June, he gave up hope for peace. It broke his heart and he died. He left the two stones to my safe-keeping. When I opened the chest one was kept in, I found that it had been stolen. An old man my father had taken in had stolen it. After his death, he passed it to his son, who is your crime lord.”

He was nearly laughing. “I came to England to get it back. But, you were ready to lead me right to him. And then, I find that you own a stone of your own!”

“Which shall soon be in my possession as well,” a cold voice uttered.

Hugo turned, a grim expression covering his face. “Well, well, Edward. We meet at last.”

“My arch enemy,” the calculating face chuckled, “We at last are face to face after struggling to better the other for almost a year.”

“You stole what rightfully belongs to the people of France!” Hugo shouted. “You intend to use the stone for evil.”

“Yes, you’re quite right, from your point of view,” the man acquiesced. “But, truth is in the eye of the beholder.”

Hugo suddenly reached into his waist coat pocket and took out his beautiful watch and smashed the glass against the bridge railing. From the inside, he took a small, red gem. As he held it out from his body, it burst into flames. My former employer looked at me.

“Well Ele,” he asked, a cunning smile on his lips, “You fulfilled your bargain. Now, you decide what do. Take your pitiful stone and go away and I’ll let you live. Fight me, and you shall indeed die.”

Hugo looked at me, a sad smile on his lips. “Go,” he mouthed.

I pulled the contract I had signed out of my pocket. Walking slowly to the huge fireball, I held the paper out to it. The flame licked the corner of the paper. I never wanted to see it again. The words upon it in their elegant scrawl had once meant the world to me, but now, all I wanted was for it to be gone.

“I will fight!” I shouted, throwing the flaming document away from me. I took out my necklace, ripped the rawhide strap in half and held it at the ready. “Do whatever you will, I will do what is right.”

“Then you shall both die.” Edward took off his black leather gloves, revealing a red stone set in gold. Turning his head to the side, he spat onto the pavement, just as the ring burst into flame. Hugo blocked his enemy’s fire with that of his own. My gem felt extremely cold in my hand, and soon what I’d suspected came true. A bolt of ice flew from the gem and fell over the side of the bridge. I looked up at the fight progressing ahead of me. Carefully aiming the stone between my fingers, it shot another icy blast at Edward. Instead of killing him with it, it spread under his feet, causing him to suddenly plunge backwards over the side of the bridge railing.

He shouted loudly as he splashed into the cold water below. Hugo dashed to the spot where his enemy had previously been standing and picked up the red stone, where it had fallen out of the ring.

“Well then Ele,” he said gallantly, tossing his golden head, “Now that we’ve taken care of him, let’s find some lodging for the night.”

I stared at him panting. “That’s it?” I cried, “I just risked my life and it was over within five minutes?”

He nodded. “No use dwelling on the past. Edward will be fine, if he can swim. He can go back to selling his harmless magic and forget his delusions of grandeur.”

I took his arm and we laughed and chattered, until vanishing into the dark. The moon shone down gently and guided us on our way.

***

Prompt: Don’t look back, don’t look back…he gritted his teeth, steeled himself against his will. Took a step. Then another.

And then he whirled around, going against everything – taking one last look.

That was his biggest mistake.

Death by Shannon Poppe

A rough jerk to the side and it was over. Instant and painless, he was gone. The light died in his eyes and his last breath died with the scream on his lips. Police were called and the ambulance arrived too late, fire fighters watched helplessly and the oncoming traffic slowed trying to get a glimpse of the gruesome car crash. Three dead. No survivors.

It was a peaceful awakening and Jack was almost content to just keep his eyes closed. Something prompted him to open them however so he complied. The room was completely white and he sighed, so this was heaven.

“It’s not,” a tired voice sounded next to him.

Jumping in surprise he scurried away from the voice that startled him. “Who are you?” he asked, eyes wide.

“Death,” the dark hooded figure slowly stood up from the chair he had been sitting in. “This is not an honor,” his voice was deep and carried secrets, “You are here to take my place.”

“What?”

“I’ve served my sentence,” he threw back his hood revealing a surprisingly young face.

“You’re…Death?”

“Yes,” he made eye contact with Jack.

Jack shivered, the eyes were completely black and lifeless, “Why am I here?”

“You died,” Death replied crossing his arms.

“And…I’m going to take your place as…the grim reaper?”

Death rolled his eyes, “I did just tell you, you were taking my place.”

“I…wasn’t prepared for this.”

“Of course not, whatever you did in your life it must have been bad. Only the worst get sentenced to this punishment.”

“Punishment?”

“I’ve seen a thousand deaths, I’ve reaped a thousand souls, I’ve cried a thousand tears. I’ve felt the agony of every human dying a painful death. I’ve watched kids about to commit suicide about to take their souls before they suddenly change their mind. I have been present to a million deaths of old men and women, all of them alone. I have walked the fields of wars and picked up the tattered souls of the fallen. You don’t think this is a punishment?”

“I see,” Jack swallowed.

“No you don’t. Not yet,” Death turned and walked away. “Come with me,” he flipped his hood back over his head and a scythe shimmered and appeared in his hand. “This is the first day on the job and I have the day to train you.”

“Only a day?”

“It will feel like years.”

Jack followed Death and watched as the current room he was in materialized before his eyes. They appeared in a hospital, people walking around frantically. He read a sign “NICU.” Beside him Death sighed and mumbled something under his breath. People passed through him as if he wasn’t there, it was a weird sensation.

“What are we doing here?” Jack whispered.

“There is no need to whisper, no one can hear us.”

“What are we doing here?” Jack asked again.

“We are fulfilling our duty,” Death walked into the unit and past all the infants.

“Wait,” Jack ran after him and stopped when he saw Death standing over a cradle. “What are you doing?”

“This child is about to die,” Death cocked his head to the side and watched the sleeping infant.

“So…?”

“So we must watch it die.”

“Why? That is horrible!”

“This is our punishment,” Death growled. “At least this one is asleep and will pass peacefully.”

Jack tore his eyes away from Death and watched the infant breathe. A jarring beep made him jump and he watched as the infant’s chest stopped rising and falling. A nurse ran into the room and yelled something but Jack didn’t pay attention. He was riveted as Death placed a hand over the infant’s chest. Turning sharply Death then left the room, leaving the lifeless infant in the care of the doctors.

Jack numbly followed him. “What…I mean…It was just a child…”

“And?”

“And?! So he had an entire life ahead of him!”

“Not anymore,” Death replied coldly. “You get used to it.”

“Okay…”

The death of the infant was sudden and laid heavy on Jack’s heart. His shoulders slumped a little as the world materialized again and they were in an alleyway. It was night and Jack shivered. The silhouette of a body caught his eye and he went over to inspect. Death stood behind him and watched. “Is the man dead?” Jack asked.

“Why else would we be here?”

“How did he die?”

“That’s not our job, that’s for the police.”

“Who was he?”

“That isn’t our job either.”

“So we just take the souls of the dead?”

“Yes.”

“I see.”

Jack looked at the man a while longer before reaching into the guy’s back pocket and pulling out a wallet. “I wouldn’t do that,” Death warned. Jack ignored him and rummaged through the wallet. He wanted to know who it was. Credit cards and receipts fell out in a jumble. Stooping to pick them out a picture caught his eye. It was unmistakably the man, next to him was a young girl—at least eight.

“He was a father,” Jack muttered and looked at Death who was just straightening up from retrieving the soul.

Sirens in the background began to grow louder and soon the place would be swarming with police. “It would seem so.”

“How can you do this?”

“This is my job, soon to be yours.”

“He had a daughter.”

“Too bad, then.”

“I don’t want to do this.”

“You have a lot to learn still,” the world materialized again and they stood in a home.

Jack stood numbly on the throw rug. The house was cold, too cold for someone to be living in it, “Why is it so cold?” Jack asked, expecting to see his breath before realizing he was dead.

“You feel it now,” Death nodded, “You have made another step in becoming the next Death.”

Jack was silent as they walked into the room some more. It was eerily quiet in the house, only the sounds of muffled cries directed them where to go. An old man lay in his bed surrounded by family, obviously he had wanted to die in the comfort of his home. Jack traced his fingers over pictures of memories on the mantel piece. Contemplating the man’s life and how intricate his soul was. He had fulfilled his duty in life. It was sentimental and sad.

Jack walked into the room and stood next to Death and together they watched as the man took his last struggling breath. The sobs grew louder and more heart wrenching but Jack tuned it out. Death gestured forward and Jack knew he had to take the soul. Laying his ghost like hand on the man’s chest Jack took the soul and walked back to reaper.

“Are we done?” he asked quietly.

Death suddenly twitched and shook his head, “I must bring you to one more death.”

Jack numbly watched as the world shimmered and they were suddenly on a bridge, “No,” Jack said sharply. And began to walk away.

“This isn’t your choice,” Death’s shoulders dropped wearily.

Don’t look back, don’t look back…he gritted his teeth, steeled himself against his will. Took a step. Then another. And then he whirled around, going against everything – taking one last look. That was his biggest mistake

The two of them watched a young girl standing on the rail of a bridge, looking down at the water below. Jack knew the bridge instantly; it was the Golden Gate. Jack knew what the girl was going to do and for an instant he himself forgot that he was dead. He ran forward and tried to grab her wrist, his hand past through it and she fell. Jack held back a sob as memories of her own life flashed before his eyes. She hit the water. It stopped. And the world turned grey.

Death disappeared to take the girl’s soul. Jack stood at the railing staring at the spot the girl had just been, he didn’t understand why he had to do this job. He didn’t understand why people had to die. He didn’t understand anything. Death appeared next to him and they stood silently side by side.

“It’s delicate,” Death pulling back his hood and leaning on the railing.

“What is?” Jack’s hands dangled helplessly by his sides.

“Life,” Death shrugged and his cloak began to disappear slowly, “Today I showed you some of the worst types of death. An infant with parents who were hopeful for its survival, a father dying…leaving his little girl to grow up without him. The death of a man, a life fulfilled. And someone who thought the only answer was to take their own life.”

“Why did you show me these?” Jack whispered.

Death looked at him, “This is not our life, Jack. None of it. It isn’t up to us. We shouldn’t take our lives we shouldn’t live carelessly. Life is so beautiful and not because of the laughter and the joy; not because of the parties and the stars. It’s also beautiful because of the tears and the sorrow. How would anyone grow to be so good, like that man, if they had not known sorrow? The girl who just took her life; it is sad yes. It was wrong. But people in her life are going to learn from it. Everything is so delicately tied together and no one understands it. Our lives are connected by fragile threads, we all effect one another and that is what is sad, I think. Because despite all this…life is still worth living.”

“So that is my punishment,” Jack understood.

“To live without ever dying, to die a thousand deaths of other people,” Death disappeared.

Jack held out his hand and the scythe appeared in it. Slowly he trudged off the bridge in the grey, cold world, to reap the souls of the many. To watch people’s lives and become attached only to be let down. To understand that life was much more than anything that anyone could possibly understand and to watch as innocents were killed while the wicked lived. Jack inhaled and realized how rare and beautiful it was that people existed.

***

THE END

MODG News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All MODG News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.