MasterChef: Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

These delicious treats combine the sweet tang of a strawberry with the rich flavor of chocolate, perfect for small parties or special occasions. Here’s how you can make your own:

Ingredients (you can always double it if you want more):

Strawberries: 1 pound

Semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate chips: 1 cup

White chocolate chips: ½ cup

Vegetable or Canola oil: 2 teaspoons

Directions

1. Wash and dry strawberries and then place them on a cooking sheet lined with wax paper.

2. Put the 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl and stir in 1 teaspoon of vegetable or canola oil.

3. Heat in the microwave on around 60-70% power for 30 second intervals until you get the desired consistency, stirring after each one. If the chocolate is getting sticky, add a bit more vegetable or canola oil.

4. Then dip the strawberries one by one into the melted chocolate, careful not to “chocolate” the stem. (That’s what you hold onto when you eat them!) Do this with each strawberry and place them on the wax paper, and then leave them in the fridge for about fifteen minutes to chill.

5. While waiting for them to chill, you can go ahead and put the ½ cup of white chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl and stir in 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil.

6. Heat the white chocolate in the microwave on around 60-70% power for 30 second intervals until you get the desired consistency, stirring after each one. Again, if the chocolate is getting sticky, add a bit more vegetable or canola oil.

7. Now you have two choices: you can either use a fork to dribble the white chocolate onto the chocolate-covered strawberries, or you can use your very own makeshift piping bag. To make the piping bag, just put a plastic baggy in a cup and pour the white chocolate into it, then seal the bag and cut the tip as an opening. The smaller the opening, the thinner the lines of white chocolate. (I’ve used both methods found that the piping bag works best.)

8. At this time, the strawberries in the fridge are most likely done chilling, and you can take them out to decorate with the white chocolate. For the piping bag, just twist the end of it and squeeze evenly in fast back-and-forth motions across the strawberry. (If you would rather, you could decorate the strawberries with sprinkles or cookie crumbs instead of white chocolate. It’s basically up to you 🙂

9. After leaving the strawberries in the fridge for another ten minutes to chill, your chocolate-covered strawberries are ready to serve!