Paleo Salmon Burgers

Paleo Salmon Burgers

Serves twelve

Ingredients:

four (4) 14.75 oz cans of traditional-style pink salmon

one (1) green bell pepper

one (1) red bell pepper

one (1) large vidalia onion

1½ cups almond meal six

(6) large eggs

¼ cup dried oregano

3 tablespoons of lemon juice

1½ teaspoons black pepper (to taste)

1 teaspoon salt (to taste)

1 tablespoon olive oil

approximately ½ cup of refined coconut oil (or some other flavorless oil – for cooking)

Directions:

1. Drain the salmon and flake it in a very large bowl.

2. Cut the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and onion in small (½ – ¼ in.) strips.

3. In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-heat. Add the onions and saute about five minutes, or until they turn translucent; add the peppers and cook with the lid on, stirring occasionally, until soft.  Add the onions and peppers to the bowl.

4.  Mix in the almond meal, eggs, oregano, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt to the salmon; mix well with a fork.

5. In a large skillet or saucepan, heat some of the coconut oil over medium heat.  Take a ball of the salmon mixture slightly larger than a golf ball and flatten it into a 2½ in. burger.  Cook the burgers in the skillet, flipping partway through cooking.  Lower the heat if the oil smokes, and add more as needed.  Burgers are cooked when both sides are golden-brown.

Makes approximately 36 2½ in. burgers.

Nutritional Information:

Free of wheat, corn, grain, soy, dairy, and shellfish.  Contains fish (salmon), tree nuts (almonds), and eggs. Per serving (three burgers): Fat: 33 grams. Protein: 35 grams. Total Carbohydrate: 8 grams. Fiber: 2 grams. Sugars: 2 grams. Sodium: 767 mg. Calories: 461