That’s Christmas to Me – Winning Story

Welcome back everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful break! Here’s the winning story for the “That’s Christmas to Me” prompt. Thanks to all those who entered and congrats to Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Mott
7th Grade

Emmie’s Christmas

Emmie woke with a start. It’s Christmas! she thought. She hurried down the stairs to the Christmas tree. The warm yellow lights glowed brightly on all the presents. Emmie’s brother Jack had already grabbed the stockings, and he set them next to the presents.
“Let’s go wake up Mom and Dad,” he said. Jack and Emmie hurried up the stairs and into their parents’ room. Both Mom and Dad were fast asleep.
“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” Emmie shouted as loud as she could. Jack covered his ears, Mom sat up straight, and Dad rolled over and started to snore.
“Its Christmas! It’s Christmas! Its Christmas!” Emmie started singing as she climbed into Mom and Dad’s bed, and started to shake Dad awake. Dad opened his eyes and mumbled something.
“Good morning Dad,” said Jack.
“We need to open presents!” Emmie said, jumping off the bed, and running out of the bedroom, and down the stairs.
“I’ll get the camera!” said Mom, exiting the room. Dad and Jack hurried down stairs to the tree, where Emmie had already gathered her gifts. After everyone had gotten comfy, and pictures were taken, Dad read from the Bible.
“In those days,” Dad began. After finishing the story of the birth of Jesus, Mom said:
“One last picture.” Everyone snuggled together for the picture, then the children hopped down and ran to open their presents. They had many gifts, including: gloves, mittens, coloring books, legos, and candy.
“Thank you Mom, thank you Dad,” Jack and Emmie said in unison. They gave each of their parents a hug, then their mother said:
“Hurry up and get changed for Christmas mass. After mass, we will go to Grandma’s house.” Jack and Emmie ran up the stairs and changed into their Christmas outfits. Then they wrapped up in coats and hats and hurried out into the snow.
“It’s a white Christmas!” Jack said to Emmie as they walked to the car. Emmie nodded her head and smiled. After a long drive to church, and a long Christmas mass, they all drove to Grandma’s. They knocked on the door, and Grandma let them in. Grandma was showered with hugs, kisses, and Merry Christmases. Everyone settled down for a nice hot brunch. After eggs and bacon, hot chocolate, and Grandma’s famous cinnamon rolls, everyone was stuffed. The children sat around the fire, asking Grandma about Christmas stories from when she was a child.
“What do you think makes Christmas so special children?” Grandma asked with a smile.
“Why, the baby Jesus,” Jack answered.
“Very good,” said Grandma.
“And baking cookies, and gingerbread houses, and presents!” Emmie added. Grandma laughed.
“That’s Christmas to me!” she said, smiling. As they were about to leave, Emmie peered out the window. The sky was clear, and the stars shone brightly. But one star in the middle of the sky was extra bright. Emmie turned to her brother and whispered,
“It’s the Christmas star!”
“Uh huh,” said Jack, who was falling asleep.
Emmie stared out the car window as they drove away. She silently thanked God for her wonderful Christmas.
“Did you both have fun?” Emmie’s mother asked. As no answer came, she turned and looked back, then smiled happily. Both children were fast asleep.
The End.

-Elizabeth Mott

MODG News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All MODG News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.