Amor Terrae: Camping

I’m sure at some point all of us have been on hikes, have been on some sort of Scouting adventure, or have even wandered through nearby woods. But have you ever gone to nature to stay?

Camping gives you an experience of the outdoors that just a few hours in the woods can’t. Some of us camp every year, but for those of us who camp often and those of us who don’t, here are some thoughts…

• What not to bring:

-Don’t bring school unless you can help it. I realize that no one is keen on falling behind, but school can really interfere with relaxation time. Who wants to sit down with a laptop for a few hours when you could be hiking or canoeing? Yes, not bringing schoolwork will most likely give you anxiety issues, but it will be worth it because you’re allowed to leave the work at home, and you can put school out of your mind and have a good time!

-Don’t bring your electronics. OK, well don’t bring them out of the tent. Try to detox. Electronics tend to clutter our minds and the more we can cut that out of our day the cleaner and better our minds will feel. I don’t see a big problem with checking email or getting on a social media site once a day in the evening, but the more often you’re on Facebook or Twitter, the less time you’re actually devoting toward the purpose of your visit.

• What to bring:

-S’mores, hello! (Who goes camping without these?!?)

-A good book to read by the campfire…that one classic you’ve been dying to read but haven’t had the time for.

-Depending on the time of year, you will need a sweater, and depending on where you live you will need more than that. Look ahead at the weather and pack accordingly.

-Those random things that you don’t know you need until you get there: Sunglasses, a hat, water bottle, sandals, a towel, shampoo/conditioner, soap, and laundry detergent (unless you’re going all out and are staying in the backwoods, in which case you will need more soap). Also, a small extra backpack is convenient to have on hikes.

-Washable plasticware for eating.

-A camera, or better yet, a sketchbook to record what you see. And if you happen to be a 10th grader in Natural Science, this is killing two birds with one stone, because you can sketch and have fun at the same time!

I’d advise you to pack very lightly and bring only what is necessary, because there is limited tent space. Random objects scattered all over the place may not bother some people, but I know that personally I’d choose to have only the minimum. Let me stress this point again: Only the essentials!

Ok, so you’re all packed, and you’ve arrived at the campsite, unloaded, and set up the tent. Now you’re ready to do…whatever people do on a camping trip. Here are some recommendations:

• What to do:

-Hiking! This is one of my favorite outdoor activities. Pack a few healthy snacks and don’t forget the water, and get out on the trails! An extra, light sweater is also a good idea. You can spend a whole day just hiking, and this is a good default to fall back on if your family can’t decide on another activity.

-Horseback riding…this one depends on your location and budget, but sometimes there will be horses available to rent near the place you’re staying. Horses can be scary but unless you have a serious phobia, I would encourage you to try. I got to trail ride in Scotland once, but that’s another story.

-Canoeing. I wouldn’t recommend this in autumn, unless you’re in the South and it’s still 80+ degrees out. Our family owns a canoe that, once upon a time, could fit all of us. There was a certain occasion when my mother got flipped out the front, my dad fell off the back, and all of us kids were fortunately not carried down the river!

-Biking. If you don’t bring your own, look around for some to rent and make sure that you ride on a relatively flat trail, because biking is a strenuous activity.

-Just laying around the campfire in the evening. Cardio activities are part of camping, but so is lounging. This can be a really great family time. If you’re in a less-densely populated area, the stars come out really well on clear nights and you might even see some shooting stars, which are really exciting.

And whatever you do, do it with patience and enjoy the ride (or walk). Family vacations can be stressful when not everyone agrees on the activity, but whatever you do, whether it’s your preference or not, you’ll have fun if you have an open mind and choose not to fret. Instead, make the courageous decision to enjoy!

“Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.”

~St. Francis of Assisi

MODG News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All MODG News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.