Stories by the Staff: Defenders of the Light

Here we have the first Story by the Staff! We hope you enjoy this new feature of VOX.  This was written by Mya Riley, Editor of The Writer’s Quill and a News Production student.

Defenders of the Light

By Mya Riley (Grade 12)

Jillian stood before the large double doors, heart in her mouth. This was it. This was her moment. She would finally rise to the next level. She would no longer be a child. A trumpet fanfare blasted in the room beyond the doors. That was her cue. She strode towards the doors. They were opened before her by two Highers. The hall was filled with people of all ranks. Highers blew the trumpets with zeal. Jillian walked down the hall, her ceremonial red robes swishing around her ankles. She stared straight ahead.

Her parents were standing there, at the end of the hall. Next to them was the Link, standing tall in his robes, also red. Jillian did not look back, but she could feel Thristal walking behind her, the Higher’s presence like a comforting blanket. Thristal was a Guardian, her Guardian. The Higher’s life work was to protect her.

Jillian reached the front of the room and knelt before the Link. Bridget came and stood beside her. Bridget was her Proponent, another person who would support and help her through her missions. The Link began the ceremony. His words were mostly lost on Jillian, she was readying herself for what she knew would come next. The Link anointed her brow with the heavenly oil, a preparation for what was to come. The sound of hurricane-force winds filled the halls. Jillian tensed instinctively. The rushing noise funneled towards her, she braced for the impact.

It never came. Instead, the caress of a soft summer breeze brushed against her cheek, like a loving hand. The winds surrounded her, howling like a pack of wolves. But there was no fear. Jillian heard only the sound of music, music like nothing she had ever heard before. It filled her with joy, joy that threatened to burst out of her any second. She wanted to sing, to shout, to dance. The winds tightened their spinning around her, but there was no discomfort. A figure materialized in front of her, not enough to be seen clearly, but enough for her to see the outline and know He was there.

Jillian fell to her knees, right fist held against her chest in salute. He lifted her up to her feet. He smiled at her and put a softly glowing hand on her chest, “You are mine.” He said, His voice sounding like a gentle breeze, but at the same time the pounding of waves on rocks, the howl of a winter storm. Jillian could not hold back the tears of joy as she felt Him become a part of her, He would always be with her, no matter where she went. He would be her help in times of need, her comforter when she was afraid, her greatest love for all time.

He gave her a final look of intense love, then dematerialized back into the roaring wind. Jillian barely noticed His departure, so filled with awe and joy was she. The observers watched as the glow slowly died from her skin, but they knew it was still inside her, burning as bright as an inferno.

The Link began the second part of the ceremony. Her parents each held a red cushion, embroidered with golden flames. On the cushions was her new armor. The Link held up the first piece, the belt. He began speaking the ceremonial words. Jillian did not hear a word; she watched, detached, as her parents removed her red robe, revealing the pure white tunic and leggings underneath, and armed her with the belt, breastplate, shoes, helmet, sword, and shield.

She snapped out of her daze long enough to hear the final words, “May you, armed with these weapons, fight the powers of darkness and evil, spread goodness, truth, peace and righteousness throughout the world. Do you accept your mission for the rest of your living days? Will you sacrifice your life if necessary to protect the innocent and defend the light?”

This was it; possibly the most momentous moment of her life.

“I will.” Jillian said.

“Warriors!” the Link said loudly, his voice echoing through the halls, “Welcome your new member!” Cheers resounded through the hall, nearly deafening everyone inside. Jillian unsheathed her sword and held it high with her brethren, tears of joy still streaming down her cheeks.

MODG News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All MODG News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.