Baked+Ziti

Baked Ziti

Baked Ziti is the perfect comfort food – cheesy and saucy and completely irresistible. Photo1-11

Yield: 8 servings

Total time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 whole large onion, diced
• 1 pound Italian sausage
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 can (28 Oz.) whole or diced tomatoes, with juice
• 2 cans (14.5 Ounce) tomato sauce or marinara sauce
• 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 16 ounces Ziti (or other pasta), slightly undercooked
• 1 tub (15 Oz.) cottage cheese
• 1 pound (2 cups) mozzarella, shredded
• ½ pound (1 cup) of Colby Jack cheese, shredded (or more mozzarella)
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
• 1 whole egg

Directions:

1. Find a large casserole or lasagna dish.

Photo1-5

2. Pour the olive oil into a skillet or pot and turn to medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, then saute them until softened, about five minutes.  Add both the Italian sausage and ground beef to the onion-garlic mixture and cook until the meat is well browned, with no pink left.  When meat is browned, drain most of the fat, but not all, so as to leave some flavor.

Photo1-8

3. In a separate pan, cook the tomatoes, tomato juice, and marinara sauce with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Taste to make sure the seasoning is to your liking.

Photo1-9

4. Add the marinara sauce mixture to the meat mixture.  For best flavor (and this is optional), simmer for about 25 minutes.  I was in a rush, so I skipped simmering.

5. After optional simmering, remove about 3-4 cups of the tomato-meat mixture to a separate bowl to cool down.

6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

7. In a different bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, Colby Jack cheese, parmesan, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 cup of the mozzarella.

Photo1-7

8. Add the egg and stir gently. Don’t mix it completely, but stir just a few times until combined.

Photo1-6

9. Drain the cooked pasta and rinse with cool water, so it does not continue cooking.  Pour the pasta into the cheese and egg mixture and mix until just combined (there will be some lumps).

Photo1-4

10. Add the reserved, cooled meat-sauce and toss with the pasta and cheese. Photo1-3

11. Add half of this pasta mixture to the casserole dish.

Photo1-10

12. Pour half of the remaining sauce over the pasta, then add half of the remaining mozzarella. Repeat step 11 with another layer of the pasta mixture, then repeat step 12 with the rest of the sauce and the mozzarella. I also added more Colby Jack cheese on top.

Photo1-1

13. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.  Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.

Photo1-11

14. Enjoy!

Photo1

Source: Slightly adapted from the Pioneer Woman Cooks.