Lemon-Basil Blueberry Scones

These scones are fluffy, buttery, bursting with lemon and blueberries, and the perfect springtime treat!

Yield: 8-15 scones, depending on how large and what shape you make them

Prep time: about 20 minutes

Bake time: about 10-15 minutes

Total time: about 35 minutes

For scones:

• 1/2 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (optional, but delicious!)
  • 1/2 cup frozen butter, grated or shredded
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do NOT thaw before using!)
  • Coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)

For glaze (optional):

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream, milk, or half-and-half
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit) and lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray (or line it with parchment paper).

2. In a small bowl, combine the milk, sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice, then transfer the bowl to the refrigerator.

3. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, lemon zest and dried basil to a medium bowl and mix.

4. Cut in the grated frozen butter with a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (no larger than pea-sized crumbs).

5. Pour the milk, sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice into the mixture and stir gently until almost, but not quite, combined.

6. When the mixture is almost combined, very gently stir in the blueberries with a spatula, being very careful not to break the blueberries.  I was impatient and many of my blueberries broke and turned the dough purple! (I spared you the photos.) If you like purple scones, then no worries. 😉

7. Using an ice cream scoop, a large spoon or your hands, shape the dough into balls and place them on greased or lined cookie sheet.*  Use your hand or the underside of a spoon to slightly flatten the balls.

*Note: In traditional scone recipes, the dough is spread on a floured surface, rolled into a round, and cut into wedges. This can be a messy and time-consuming process (at least for me), so I decided to try something new and make the scones round.

8. Sprinkle the dough balls with coarse sugar (I used raw cane sugar) and bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your scones) or until lightly golden.  Place the baked scones on a wire rack to cool.

9.  (Optional step) For glaze: while the scones are cooling, mix together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk or heavy cream.  Add as much milk as needed to achieve the desired consistency.  Drizzle the glaze over the cooled scones.  I skipped the glaze and left my scones plain.

10. Enjoy!

Source: Slightly adapted from Handle the Heat