Mary Sabados

Catholic Teen: Advent

Prepare for Christmas During Advent

So when is it really the right time to start preparing for Christmas? Well, the Church actually gives us a select time to prepare for Christmas, the celebration of Christ’s birth. This time is called Advent. This coming Sunday is the third Sunday of Advent.

Although Christ came into this world 2,000 years ago, Advent is really a time to prepare for Christ’s second coming.

One way to prepare for this, is by reconnecting ourselves to Christ. It is so easy to put Christ off or forget about Him, especially since life is so busy. There is always going to be things that have to get done, or things that should be done.

Luke 2:7 says, “And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.”

That’s what advent is about, making room in our inn, in our heart, for Christ. Making Him the center of our lives, our day.

It’s true that Jesus is the reason for the season, but He is really the reason for so much more, including our very lives.

The giving of gifts is always a great idea and brings everyone joy! But also, the gift of time and love can make a greater impact.

— Mary Sabados

One of the most important ways to acknowledge Christ in our lives is through prayer. The nice thing about prayer is that there are many different ways to pray: talking to God, listening to God, singing, worshiping Him, even just a quick thank you. God is always happy to hear from us, and wants to be able to share with us. In praying, we grow closer to God, and also become a better person for those around us.

Another way to grow closer to Christ is by caring for the body of Christ. This can be done in many ways, one of which is service. Maybe your Church has service opportunities, or a local organization, and although donations are a great way to serve, there is nothing like being there in person for those who have no one.

It’s not always those with physical needs that need help, however, sometimes those who we pass everyday are in great need. That’s why another way to care for the body of Christ is by not focusing on ourselves, but putting others’ needs before our own. Sometimes this is even as simple as starting our day off right so that we can be joyful and not bring others down.

The giving of gifts is always a great idea and brings everyone joy! But also, the gift of time and love can make a greater impact. So this advent, maybe you can try to take time to focus on what Christmas is really about.