VOX

OPINION: Lack of Transparency in the Clinton Campaign

How Hillary's lack of transparency affects her status in the polls

Christopher Young, News Editor

Hillary Clinton, the 68 year-old Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America in the 2016 elections, has been criticized for her lack of transparency in her campaign. Some Americans have called  her dishonest, a liar, and a criminal. Some even petition for her to be arrested and tried. Do these desires base themselves on facts?

The biggest concern Americans have as of 2016 when it comes to Hillary Clinton is her honesty. In winter of 2015, it was discovered that Clinton had a private email server set up at her residence in Chappaqua, New York. Clinton admitted that the server had been set up at her residence for her convenience and was used to send both work-related and personal emails. Clinton maintained that no secret or sensitive information had been imported or exported on the server.

However, the government soon discovered that there was more to the story than Clinton initially let on. Over 1,300 of the emails found on Clinton’s server contained business-related information, mostly to do with Libya, some of it even having to do with undercover CIA agents in foreign countries. The information was so sensitive that the State Department refused to release redacted versions of these emails, fearing that online hackers or terrorists could find the information. These emails potentially jeopardize resources, tactics, and even lives, and are believed to have been factors in the 2012 Benghazi attack and deaths of ambassadors. Clinton retained access to these emails and the hardware used to send them until the FBI forced her to turn them over last summer. Since the scandal took place, however, many politicians, including President Barack Obama himself, have publicly expressed a lack of concern over the email scandal. The question to ask now is “why?”

The email controversy may be the most notable of Hillary’s issues, but it is not the only one. In 1996, Hillary Clinton made a trip to Tusla, Bosnia, following the Bosnian War. Years later, in 2007, Clinton commented on that trip, saying, “We landed in one of those corkscrew landings and ran out because they said there might be sniper fire.” Again, in February of 2008, “The welcoming ceremony had to be moved inside because of sniper fire.” Once more, again in 2008, “We came in in an evasive maneuver and were basically told to run to our cars. Now that is what happened.” CBS News later released footage of the Bosnia landing, which contained a lengthy greeting ceremony, pictures with schoolchildren, and many handshakes. The evidence stacked against her is considerable, and raises further speculation on her truthfulness.

The most recent speculation of Clinton’s campaign is her fainting spell during the 15th anniversary ceremony of 9/11 . At Ground Zero, Clinton faltered and fell and was seen being assisted by her entourage into a vehicle where, instead of being taken to a hospital, she was brought to her daughter’s apartment. Clinton emerged mere hours later, saying that she was diagnosed with pneumonia two days before, and that she was now feeling great. A question many asked was why did Clinton not reveal her pneumonia when she knew, rather than wait until she fell to the ground on video. Many medical professionals who have no connection to Clinton have commented on the symptoms they have seen, and say that her coughing, erratic movement, a tendency to grab onto objects for support, and her fainting spell show that Clinton may be suffering from more than pneumonia.  Those who tested her say otherwise, but the affair casts yet another shadow over Clinton’s transparency.

These incidents will not affect Hillary Clinton well. Without enough transparency, the trust of Americans does not come easily. If Clinton wishes to be president, she needs to be honest and open first.